Editorial Director, Verge Podcasts
A full time position at Vox Media, New York NY, United States of America
Posted: September 6, 2019
Vox Media is the leading independent modern media company. Known for building the best media brands and the technology that enables them, we are committed to building a better future for the industry — and getting the future of media right. Vox Media’s editorial networks include Vox, The Verge, SB Nation, Eater, Polygon, Recode, and Curbed. Our diverse storytelling and advertising businesses include the Concert publisher-led marketplace, the Vox Creative brand studio, the Chorus publishing platform, and the company’s entertainment division Vox Media Studios, which includes the Vox Media Podcast Network and Epic.
Vox Media is seeking an Editorial Director, Verge Podcasts to lead podcasting for its leading consumer technology news network. You’ll bring new focus, fresh ideas, and big ambitions to our podcasts.
Starting with our flagship show The Vergecast, you’ll examine our current slate of programming and work with our hosts to adapt those shows for the future. You should identify what makes a Verge show a must-listen, develop the right formats, and execute on new creative strategies.
The ideal candidate is passionate about technology, with the expertise required to provide editorial ideas and constructive notes on technology stories. Looking at the current tech podcasting landscape, what is missing that only The Verge can provide?
You should bring an entrepreneurial growth mindset; you’ll start with a very small team, execute at a high level, prove creative and audience success, and then pitch new shows and opportunities.
What you'll do:
- Bring strong editorial, creative, and management leadership to The Verge’s podcasting efforts, with the goal of building an ambitious and successful slate of programming.
- Successfully relaunch The Vergecast, identifying where it has opportunities to evolve and grow, and executing on those ideas.
- Develop new shows using Verge talent, IP, or audience.
- Manage an audio engineer, regularly engage and work with freelancers, and grow the team to the needs of our podcasting business.
- Facilitate regular evaluation and feedback of shows’ creative strengths and growth success.
- Establish a culture of experimentation and lead evolution of show formats over time.
- Collaborate with Verge journalists, show hosts, and talent and help them develop their on-air skills.
- Oversee promotions and growth strategies for podcasts, working with The Verge’s social media managers and Vox Media Podcast Network marketing manager.
- Set goals for audience growth in conjunction with senior leaders.
What you'll bring:
- Expertise in technology journalism and storytelling, and a passion for the tech news and reporting that are core to The Verge.
- Experience as the showrunner or editorial lead for a successful technology podcast or broadcast news program.
- Background in newsroom management, or as the leader of a team.
- A track record of developing content that draws on diverse perspectives/source lists.
- Strong leadership skills, as well as the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively.
- Strong management skills and the ability to help employees grow and thrive in their work.
- A commitment to developing The Verge’s unique sound and voice in podcasting, and a determination to create podcasts that are different from anything else out there.
This is a full-time position based in New York.
In addition to your cover letter and resume, please review one recent episode of The Vergecast, providing feedback on how you'd make the episode stronger, and outlining how these changes align with your prospective growth strategy for the podcast.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Get more details