Software Engineer (Backend or Full Stack) – Podcasts
A full time position at Spotify, London London, Great Britain
Posted: November 24, 2019
Delivering the best Spotify experience possible. To as many people as possible. In as many moments as possible. That’s what the Experience team is all about. We use our deep understanding of consumer expectations to enrich the lives of millions of our users all over the world, bringing the music and audio they love to the devices, apps and platforms they use every day. Know what our users want? Join us and help Spotify give it to them.
Would you like the opportunity to work with other world-class software engineers researching and building new features for Spotify’s support for podcasting? We’re two full-stack teams of friendly, open people based in newly fitted-out floors of the Adelphi building here in London right on the banks of the Thames. We have a diverse team and a nice balance of people new to Spotify and those who have moved around the business and already know the ropes.
What you’ll do
- We’re working quickly to get ahead in this important area for the company’s growth but we’re careful to take time and follow best practice for the features we productionise. We follow Agile ways of working and use pairing and code reviews. Our workspace feels modern and when not coding you’ll be whiteboarding ideas with colleagues in our private breakout space next to our desks, enjoying the food and drink provided and chatting over “fika”, Swedish for a cosy coffee break. You’ll be joining a progressive organisation that cares about empowering individuals to impact the way our 232m users experience music and audio, and meeting you with challenges to grow your career.
- This role will see you occasionally travelling to our offices in Sweden and the USA to learn from other Spotifiers.
Who you are
- We’re looking for an experienced Java backend developer used to building high-performance, fully tested RESTful APIs and services at scale. You will be comfortable using cloud services (ideally Google Cloud) and you’ll have been hands-on with containerisation / orchestration tools and maybe even perhaps the Apollo framework.
- Since a lot of this team’s work is R&D and involves prototyping we’ll need you to have a genuine interest in working full stack with mobile clients – Android preferred but there is scope for iOS as well. Although not mandatory as we’re happy to help you get up to speed with this side of things, any experience you have in this area already will be a plus. So we’re looking for someone who’s career aim is to be “T-shaped” rather than to just specialise in one platform.
- While of course we’re interested in your hands-on programming and system design skills (and more so than your academic qualifications!) we are looking for someone who fits our values. You’ll be an emotionally intelligent person passionate about tech, collaborative and sincere in what you do, while having a twinkle in your eye…
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 230 million users.
Get more details