Head of Podcast Production
A full time position at LumiQ, Toronto Ontario, Canada
Posted: January 7, 2021
Salary range: $70,000 to $130,000 (yearly rate) - subject to experience
Description We’re LumiQ – we’re changing the face of professional education by putting an end to the dull boardroom-style learning sessions on old technology webinar platforms.
Our platform focuses on audio learning, offering verified continuing professional development (CPD) through engaging content with a modern and convenient user experience.
Our beachhead market is in accounting, where we help designated CPAs get their CPD hours through engaging podcasts with business leaders. CPD is the required learning that CPAs generally loathe doing. They’re tired of dealing with boring webinars, irrelevant content and product experiences that are out-of-date.
That’s why they’ve flocked to LumiQ and our mission to make CPD enjoyable. With over 170 episodes, a slick mobile app, automatic CPD tracking and new episodes weekly, we’ve reimagined what professional education looks like.
Working with the VP of Content, the Head of Podcast Production will be the main driver shaping the tone, sound, and direction of our educational podcasts. With extensive knowledge in both audio and storytelling in a podcast format, we are looking for someone to lead our Podcast Production department. We are a team of entrepreneurs without formal production experience, and are looking for someone who has run an effective production team, and can help us build the processes and team we need to scale our content production house.
As the Head of Production, you will…
- Lead the charge in building a world class Podcast Production Studio
- Be the visionary, leading narrative, audio, and the overall sound and feel of our podcasts
- Manage, and continue to build, a team of producers, audio engineers, and freelancers
- Be the audio gatekeeper, ensuring a high level of audio quality and consistency for every podcast
- Manage the workflow and production of multiple podcasts at any given time
- Assess, improve, and iterate on our production processes from pre-production to episode release. If they don’t work, help us build new ones!
- Help the team troubleshoot audio, narrative, guest management, or other production related issues. Mentor and teach the team how to mitigate those issues going forward
- Manage our recording and release schedule, and be on top of communicating any issues or changes with stakeholders
- Review podcasts to identify issues and provide feedback on the audio or copy. We are proud of what we do but can always get better!
- Review and provide feedback on scripts from producers and freelancers
- Use your background in narrative and storytelling to support hosts and producers with episode outlining and direction of episodes
- Assist in developing new podcast series
- Use your deep knowledge and networks to source new talent for hosting, scripting, and other talent as required
- Assist with onboarding new talent whether contractor or in house, ensuring they understand the LumiQ vision for content
- Have the ability to zoom out and see bigger picture. You can comfortably say you always fully understand how what you are working on fits into the bigger picture, and will always push for the “why” if you don’t
Your Background Should Look Like…
- 5+ years experience in podcast production and original show development at an organization, studio, or network. (We love and admire independent podcasters, but are looking for applicants that have done this at a corporate scale)
- 3+ years leading and managing an audio department and experience guiding and mentoring producers
- A sophisticated sense of story structure and narrative. You should have extensive experience figuring out both how to tell a story and how to fix a story that isn’t working
- You should have experience coaching a team and delivering actionable, constructive feedback
- Strong understanding of recording, cutting tape, assembling, mixing, and audio publication
- A strong understanding of Pro Tools, Audacity, and other DAWs
- Experience in a fast paced environment with an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to change
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Ability to set up and troubleshoot audio recording in remote environments
- Experience creating processes from scratch, and an ability to identify processes that aren’t working or need tweaking.
- A background in finance or business would be highly desirable but not required
- You have an immense attention to detail
- You are collaborative and believe good ideas can come from anywhere or anyone
- You care about the quality of the final product, and want to take pride in anything you attach your name to
If you tick the above boxes, we are excited to hear from you! When applying, please ensure you have a portfolio of work that demonstrates audio editing, producing, and storytelling abilities.
This role is ideally located in Toronto, but we are open to remote candidates. Some travel to our office will be required post-COVID
Some Benefits of Working with us….
A stake in our company Medical Benefits Post-COVID, an awesome workspace at our downtown Toronto office location at OneEleven (Front & John) Results-oriented. We’re not sticklers about needing to run out for a haircut or doctor’s appointment. Joining a company that has product/market-fit, including 300% YoY Growth Has a team of world-class investors behind us, including Jean Desgagne, Former CEO of GES at the TMX and Dennis Bennie, one of the Founding members of the Creative Destruction Lab
Get more details
Please mention podjobs.net in your application.