Editor in Chief / Chief Content Officer
A full time position at Lost Debate, New York NY, USA
Posted: May 27, 2021
Salary range: $250,000 to $0 (yearly rate) - subject to experience
We live in an age of rampant misinformation and polarization. Problems compounded by media companies largely focused on clicks and eyeballs instead of depth and nuance. Companies too often obsessed with turning a profit, defending party orthodoxy, or simply avoiding controversy.
Lost Debate is a non-profit media company founded to break from that mold. Our mission is to be ethically contrarian. To find the ideas, stories, and people that are misunderstood, overlooked, or just plain threatening to those with privilege and power. Through originally produced podcasts, documentaries, short form videos, written commentary, and investigative journalism, we will build fresh narratives — not for the sake of being different but for the sake of seeing the unseen and speaking their unspoken truths. Truths that matter to the most vulnerable members of our society.
We’ll launch in the summer of 2021 with over $7 million in funding under the leadership of founder and CEO Ravi Gupta.
- Recruit, hire, and develop podcast producers, researchers, writers, and editors.
- Oversee publication layout (artwork, design, and photography), design, style, and tone.
- Set and maintain publication standards.
- Coordinate audio, video, and written publishing cycles.
- Review audio, video, and written content for style, spelling, and grammar when necessary.
- Manage a fast, accurate research and fact-checking process.
- Provide suggestions for edits when needed.
- Solicit and select pitches for new content.
- Develop and manage budgets for the editorial team.
- Represent the publication’s editorial team publicly.
- Alignment with Lost Debate’s values and beliefs.
- A heterodox set of views, a thick skin for robust debate and disagreement, and a burning curiosity.
- The leadership skills needed to drive a team toward maximum creativity and productivity.
- A+ written and oral communication skills, as demonstrated by a portfolio accumulated over many years of work in media.
- The ability to stay up-to-date on industry trends and drive innovation.
- A demonstrated track record of leading teams to achieve excellent results.
- Proven work experience as an editor.
- Strong editorial judgment.
- In-depth knowledge of news and current affairs.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; the capability to manage multiple projects and prioritize tasks effectively.
- The ability to make quick and accurate decisions, especially when deadlines are approaching.
- Versatility, flexibility, and willingness to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
This position is based in New York, NY, and offers a starting salary of $250K + benefits.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Please mention podjobs.net in your application.