Chief of Staff
A full time position at Lost Debate, New York NY, USA
Posted: May 27, 2021
Salary range: $150,000 to $0 (yearly rate) - subject to experience
We live in an age of rampant misinformation and polarization. Problems compounded by media companies largely focused on clicks and eyeballs instead of depth and nuance. Companies too often obsessed with turning a profit, defending party orthodoxy, or simply avoiding controversy.
Lost Debate is a non-profit media company founded to break from that mold. Our mission is to be ethically contrarian. To find the ideas, stories, and people that are misunderstood, overlooked, or just plain threatening to those with privilege and power. Through originally produced podcasts, documentaries, short form videos, written commentary, and investigative journalism, we will build fresh narratives — not for the sake of being different but for the sake of seeing the unseen and speaking their unspoken truths. Truths that matter to the most vulnerable members of our society.
We’ll launch in the summer of 2021 with over $7 million in funding under the leadership of founder and CEO Ravi Gupta.
- Serve as the chief advisor to the CEO, helping them manage their time and attention, preparing them for meetings, and ensuring that they have all the information necessary to be productive and engaged.
- Assist in the design, implementation, and management of operational systems to hire 30+ staff in year one.
- Create and monitor systems to ensure that the team is tracking projects/tasks and adhering to deadlines.
- Serve as a trusted gatekeeper to triage problems, reduce distractions, and allow the CEO to focus on what’s most important to the company.
- Lead board meeting planning and preparation.
- Prepare agendas, take notes, and assign action items at weekly staff meetings.
- Manage a variety of long-term, cross-organizational projects.
- Review, design, and execute improvements to organizational structure; find knowledge and skills gaps, and help to address them.
- Serve as the liaison to our back-office financial operations firm until we hire a full-time COO.
- Alignment with Lost Debate’s values and beliefs.
- A heterodox set of views, a thick skin for robust debate and disagreement, and a burning curiosity.
- A can-do attitude and calmness in the face of adversity.
- Master organizer and project planner, consistently looking ahead and anticipating needs before they arise.
- The ability to create order out of chaos by identifying systems and processes in need of tightening.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience planning and leading strategic initiatives.
- Complete trustworthiness with confidential information.
This position is based in New York, NY, and offers a starting salary of $150K + benefits.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Please mention podjobs.net in your application.