Sr. Producer, Serialized Investigative Show
A full time position at Gimlet, Brooklyn NY, USA
Posted 3 weeks ago
Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Heavyweight, Conviction, Science Vs, and The Clearing. We have top editorial, sales, and business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other and the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here. We’re proud to have recently joined the Spotify family with whom we share these values.
We are looking for a senior producer to help lead a new investigative, serialized podcast that focuses on violence against women and girls, and social justice issues in Indigenous communities. The senior producer will be involved with every step of the show including development, research, reporting and producing episodes. You possess strong editorial judgment, a background in audio storytelling and investigative journalism, and experience in reporting on sensitive topics within marginalized communities. This is a highly collaborative project; the person in this role will work closely with the host to develop the voice and identity of the show as well as other producers, editors, and engineers to assemble and refine episodes. As a senior producer, you will be managing many aspects of the show production such as: coordinating schedules and deadlines, field reporting, producing key interviews, shaping narrative structure, writing scripts, and working with and organizing tape.
What You’ll Do
- Research and report about and within Indigenous communities, often on highly sensitive experiences
- Work collaboratively with a large production team, including the host, other producers, editors, and engineers
- Set deadlines, clearly communicate those deadlines and keep the team on track and working toward its goals
- Identify key voices for the story, pre-interview and interview these subjects
- Structure and produce episodes in preparation for group edits (preliminary structure with a script)
- Select tape, pitch angles on stories, participate in and at times run group edits
What You’ll Bring
- A minimum of 5 years of experience making audio, preferably with proven field reporting experience
- A strong background in journalism with investigative expertise
- A demonstrated interest in marginalized communities and social justice issues
- Ability to structure a compelling and unique audio story, both editorially and technically (ProTools experience required)
- Experience with serialized storytelling, including the ability to change direction as the reporting unfolds
- Knowledge of trauma-informed approaches to interviewing and reporting on communities impacted by trauma and violence
- Ability to work with and lead a collaborative production team and help guide and shape the editorial direction of the show
- Experience reporting in Indigenous communities will be an asset
- Ability to manage a production schedule and prioritize a team’s responsibilities
- Experience working on a tight production schedule and translating ideas into action
- Strong ability to keep open lines of communication on a team
- A knack for delivering clear, conscientious feedback on both stories and performance
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.
This job has expired
We’re sorry, but this job post has now expired, and you cannot apply for it any longer.
Go to our front page to see current jobs.