Digital Audio Producer - Podcast
A full time position at ESPN, New York NY, United States of America
Posted: July 11, 2019
We’re looking for the right combination of distinctive vision, editorial judgment, creative writing/storytelling skills, and high emotional intelligence. The Producer will have a love for sports, great audio storytelling and possess a hunger for doing something new. You will have both the ability to understand the vision for the program and evangelize that vision to others. You excel at pushing beyond what others think is possible.
The Producer will play an integral leadership role in executing the day-to-day editorial and production vision for the flagship ESPN Daily Podcast. Every weekday, this premium original content offers depth, insight and an original, enterprising approach to sports journalism. Top candidates for this role will demonstrate curiosity, a strong work ethic, exceptional journalistic/reportorial instincts, a thorough knowledge of sports, and creative production technique. The role requires an experienced producer with a creative and inclusive approach to storytelling who can shape the vision and execution of an ambitious new daily sports podcast. The ideal candidate is a talented writer/storyteller who has a proven track record for producing high-quality narrative content, innovation, problem-solving and is experienced working in a deadline-oriented environment. The Producer plays a critical role in planning and pre-production; taking the lead in building timely, relevant episodes while also being nimble enough to cover breaking news on next-day turnarounds. He/she consistently creates innovative, original and enterprising content for every segment and episode.
The new daily podcast will explain sports in a brand new way, going deeper into the stories of the moment, providing exclusive access to ESPN’s award-winning reporting team on the front lines covering sports, ranging from our top insiders to our best storytellers and most relevant voices. More narrative than news, this new podcast brings fans the biggest stories in sports everyday as told by the best sports journalists and storytellers on the planet. Sports has never sounded better.
- Participates in editorial planning of daily sports feature podcast, including outlining program elements, and selection/booking of contributors and guests.
- Works as part of team to produce and edit daily stories and features that are consistent with the content, quality and production standards and practices of ESPN.
- Collaborates with producers and editors across ESPN teams to ensure the depth and breadth of ESPN reporting and storytelling is represented in the program.
- Monitors ESPN content, national and regional sports news, websites, newspapers, publications, mail, email, pitches, and newswires for story ideas, developments and background.
- Reports, produces and creates exceptional quality program segments and episodes that are consistent with the content, quality and production standards and practices of ESPN.
- “Thinks deep” by producing enterprising sports-related stories and features that go beyond the headlines and typical sports reporting.
- Works with the production team to edit the show for length, editorial content, and timeliness.
- Books contributors, guests and interviews.
- Manages recording and remote studio logistics.
- Works with research and library assets to find audio resources associated with interview or segment topic.
- Edits segments and/or raw tape of reporter and source interviews in ProTools.
- Pitches stories.
- Pre-interviews reporters and sources.
- Works with host, producers and editors on interview direction, strategy and technique.
- Builds stories using interviews, archive materials, natural sound and music.
- Works with audio engineer to finalize technical aspects of the show.
- Participates in daily and weekly editorial meetings.
- Coordinates aspects of pre-production, post-production, and program distribution.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 4 years of radio/audio production experience with strong journalistic/editorial instincts and background as a creative writer / storyteller / producer.
- In-depth knowledge of a wide range of subject areas related to sports.
- Strong familiarity with ESPN content across all platforms.
- Curiosity; interest in sports and beyond.
- Smart conversationalist with outstanding writing, editing and interview skills.
- Extensive knowledge of podcasting and digital audio industry.
- Thorough understanding of how to operate audio hardware, software and facilities.
- Demonstrated digital editing expertise using ProTools audio editing software.
- Ability to work varied shifts.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Thrives in team setting.
- High School Diploma
- Bachelor's Degree
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Get more details