Executive Producer, Your Undivided Attention podcast
Posted here: · Expires:
A full time Executive Producer position
Fully remote: working with a USA-based team at Center for Humane Technology .
Salary range: $140,000 to $150,000 (yearly rate) - subject to experience
ABOUT YOUR UNDIVIDED ATTENTION
Your Undivided Attention (YUA) is a top tech podcast produced by Center for Humane Technology Team. It is co-hosted by Tristan Harris and Aza Raskin, who are also two of our co-founders. YUA was launched in 2019 and has accumulated over 15 million downloads to date. In 2022, YUA became a member of the TED Audio Collective.
The goal of YUA is to illuminate the incredible influence that technology has on our lives, relationships, and society. It also exists to uncover novel solutions and new ways of thinking that can bring technology back into balance with humanity’s best interests.
YUA is a biweekly show that releases every other Thursday. Our episodes range from shorter bonus episodes (10-30 minutes) to longer full-length episodes (40-90 minutes). Most episodes feature a guest who can provide new, cross-disciplinary perspectives on how technology is impacting the world.
The show is ad-free and driven by organic growth. It has a global reach with listeners in over 200 countries, a majority of whom are based outside of the United States. Our listeners include many cross-sector leaders, and include product managers and designers inside the major technology companies, senior officials, policymakers, researchers, and activists — as well as young people, teachers and millions of others eager to drive change.
ABOUT THE EXECUTIVE PRODUCER ROLE
The Executive Producer (EP) leads the podcast team, oversees the entire podcast production process, and maintains the high level of intellectual quality and production quality that YUA is known for. The EP is also responsible for guiding the next phase of YUA’s growth and impact.
This is a role for an experienced audio editor and team leader. It is also a role that requires deep alignment with our mission and “theory of change” philosophy.
The ideal candidate will be deeply immersed with our work, and is the type of person who wakes up excited to share important and urgent ideas with the world in a compelling and empowering way.
- Terms: full time, salaried, non-exempt
- Level: Senior
- Compensation: $140,000-150,000
- Location: Remote, with quarterly in-person meetings in the San Francisco Bay Area. Note: Due to recording schedules, candidates will need to be available Pacific Coast working hours (~9am-6pm PT).
- Apply via form link below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER ROLES
- Strategic vision and leadership of YUA
- High-level production coordination and management of episode cadence
- Coordination of YUA content, including developing guest pipeline, overseeing digital assets, and sharing and gathering insights across other areas at CHT (e.g., podcast insights and content can inform video content)
- Editorial and creative direction in conjunction with Senior Producer
- Serve as a thought partner to co-hosts
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy & Planning
- Refresh Podcast Strategy quarterly
- Participate in CHT’s goal setting processes, including setting and tracking quarterly and annual goals
- Lead Strategy Monthly Meeting, including setting agendas and completing follow-ups
- Lead Podcast Weekly Meeting, including setting clear agenda and managing follow-ups
- Manage YUA team and budget
- Help co-hosts to surface, vet, select, and book guests, including conducting related exploratory emails, calls and follow-ups
- Prep for episodes, including creating episode dossiers, leading episode prep meetings and drafting all host lines.
- Lead recording sessions, including those for host lines. Manage interviews in real time, including coaching hosts and providing critical feedback on story and structure. Conduct post-mortems for future improvements.
- Execute the production process from recording to final episode, ensuring efficient and effective usage of the Senior Producer, Associate Producer and Sound Engineer to deliver episodes on schedule. To note: EP has primary responsibility for episode outline EP edits episode in coordination with SP EP scores the episode
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Ideal candidates will have some combination of the following:
5+ years of experience in audio production, from recording to editing to polishing
Experience with both interview and storytelling formats
Experience with quick-turnaround recording and production (e.g., journalism experience)
Experience with scoring and sound design
Demonstrated experience in CHT mission-aligned work
Demonstrated understanding and engagement with the themes of the show and CHT’s work, particularly those from these episodes: Ep 46 Here’s Our Plan And We Don’t Know Ep 36 A Problem Well-Stated Is Half-Solved Ep 29 A Renegade Solution to Extractive Economics Ep 22 Digital Democracy Is Within Reach
Strong operator with an ability to keep systems organized, team members on track, and podcast process humming
Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Strategic thinker, systems thinker
Strong verbal and written communicator
Highly adaptable, adjusting effectively to complexity and changing conditions
NOTE: This role does not require specific technical experience with audio editing software. Experience with Descript is desired, but not required.
ABOUT THE CENTER FOR HUMANE TECHNOLOGY (CHT)
CHT's mission is to realign technology with humanity's best interests. We are dedicated to leading a comprehensive shift toward technology that strengthens our well-being, global democratic functioning, and shared information environment.
Through our work we build shared understanding, drive coordinated solutions, and empower leaders to act.
Learn more at humanetech.com/who-we-are
Get more details
Please mention podjobs.net in your application.
What does a Executive Producer role normally entail?The Podcast Taxonomy definition for a role like this in Creative Direction says: “The Executive Producer is the lead producer on a production. The role can range in terms of creative control with some "EP"s owning the creative direction of a podcast (in effect taking the role of director), while others may take a more hands off approach. Executive producer may have raised the money to fund the production, but it is not a necessary responsibility of the role.”
This exact role may have different requirements.