Senior Full Stack Web Developer, Digital Audio
A full time position at CBC/Radio-Canada, Toronto ON, Canada
Posted: May 31, 2019
CBC/Radio-Canada's Digital Audio Products combines the latest in live audio, streaming, and semi-interactive experiences to bring Canadians the music, stories, and news they want to hear. We use the latest technologies to build products and a platform that makes this complex process, easy to access at any time, anywhere.
We are also part of Canada's oldest and truest broadcasting company. We are trying new things. We are growing. As an entity of our own. As a voice for our country. As a team.
Digital is a part of our present and all of our future. CBC's strategy is focused on becoming a digital-first organization that provides a digital platform for storytellers. Our mission is to engage our audience with stories they care about.
CBC/Radio-Canada's Digital Audio Web products team owns, builds, and maintains the in-browser audio experience across the CBC. We are looking for a Senior Full Stack Web Developer on a 12-month opportunity to join this exciting team that provides the full range of CBC Talk, Music, and Podcast audio content to millions of Canadians.
This is an opportunity to be part of a team working to unify our listening services into a cohesive set of web and mobile products while maintaining and growing our existing audience. It's a chance to coach, mentor, and work with a team that embraces an audience focus and strives to deliver updates, enhancements, and more engaging experiences as frequently as possible. We work with a diverse set of technologies, languages, and frameworks; but to us, grasp-of-concept is what matters. Your unique skill-set will only enhance ours.
If you're passionate about Canada and you love technology, learning and bringing out the best in others, you'll love working at CBC.
Who you are and where are you now?
You are an experienced Web Developer looking to apply and build upon your skills, creating end-to-end user-facing products with an emphasis on discoverability, engagement, and personalization. You understand the importance of accessibility and know what it takes to meet the needs of all users. You are looking for an opportunity to join a company with a mission, value set, and tech-forward approach that aligns with your own; a place where knowledge-sharing guides your learning.
Whether you are currently working in a startup, the corporate world or somewhere in between, you want to be part of a fun team, engaged in a continuous learning culture, where you can take on new challenges and be a significant contributor to engaging our national audience.
What's in it for you?
Cutting edge tech. CBC has more than 25 digital sites, all of which are mandated to reach Canadians online everywhere and every way, with a high emphasis on mobile devices. To achieve that goal, with no downtime, takes a robust infrastructure, powerful technologies, reliable solutions, and rewarding work. You want to play an instrumental role moving CBC/Radio-Canada forward with Audio platforms to compete on a national and international front. You are excited to look at how our audience currently accesses audio content and how we can step up to engage our audience dynamically.
Across The Organization You Will Find a Range Of Technologies
We are always researching and testing the latest tools in order to keep up-to-date.
- Our technology stack includes: ES6+, React, Sass, Node.js, SQL Server, and MongoDB.
- Our DevOps environment includes Bamboo and Jenkins for continuous integration; Selenium, Espresso, and other automated test tools; Jest and Enzyme for unit testing; and various Azure web hosting services.
Belonging. CBC/Radio-Canada is a Canadian institution. By joining our dynamic Digital Audio Products team, you will be exposed to the best of all worlds. Corporate. Public. Startup. You will be part of a team that embraces diversity and at its core, truly cares about the country and the world.
Career growth. CBC is fully invested in our people. Whatever it is you want to pursue, whether it's a new programming language or a technical solution, whether it's expanding your product, leadership, or business knowledge, we will provide you with the time, resources and championing that you need to keep your career here rewarding.
What You Bring
- The education. A Computer Science or Engineering degree is preferred, but we know not everyone gains their development skills this way.
- The passion and product focus. You are dedicated to delivering high-quality products and willing to contribute in any way that makes the product better. You understand modern approaches to testing, including automation frameworks, unit testing, and manual test case execution - and when to best deploy them. You enjoy working with product managers and stakeholders to shape products and delight customers.
- The collaborative approach. You have a team-focus and understand the concepts of collective responsibility and ownership. You are an excellent communicator who practices active listening and empathetic engagement across diverse perspectives.
- The agile mindset. You are familiar with working in an agile environment and more importantly, value the mindset and principles behind agile development. You are open to the real-world twists and turns but understand the power of frequent releases, early feedback, and iterative development.
Why join us?
CBC/Radio-Canada reflects the Canadian identity and promotes democracy. We strive to represent the voices of the country and support social and economic innovation. Our values - collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement- embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We offer a rare-in-tech work-life balance with flexible schedules, an excellent benefits package; we want to ensure you are happy in and out of the office.
- Collaboration. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas, and supporting their pursuit of new skills and career progression.
- Learning. From simply buying a book or recommending a course to one-on-ones, our leadership team is focused on creating an atmosphere where people feel fulfilled. Our team members are given opportunities to learn and work cross-functionally across multiple projects.
- Continuous improvement. Our Digital department at CBC recognizes just how smart, creative, and inventive our team members are. From prototyping new UI/UX to setting up dev environments to experiment on and learning new programming languages to creating improved search functions for our media.
Think this job is meant for you but worried you don't have it all? At CBC, we know that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. You can read about the various backgrounds the talented people that make up our team bring to us here.
Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning, and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet all or most of the qualifications we are seeking; and you are excited by the possibility of growing our company, take a chance and express your interest here.
In becoming the leader in expressing Canadian culture and enriching democratic life, we need to be as diverse in every way as the country we serve, both within our workforce and on air. As an employer, we value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada's public broadcaster.
Get more details