Controller, BBC Sounds
A full time position at BBC, London London, Great Britain
Posted: April 25, 2019
BBC Sounds is our new audio product, bringing together the BBC's music, radio and podcasts all in one place. It's had a promising start with more than 2 million downloads and later this year, with the arrival of new functionality and increased personalisation, it will replace iPlayer Radio and become the BBC's sole digital audio destination.
BBC Sounds has already given us opportunities to curate and commission content in new ways for all of our audiences. We’ve seen BBC podcast downloads increase from 20 to 24m in one year and a raft of nominations for British podcast awards, and this year we'll build on our successes so far. We have ambitious goals, world class commissioning teams, commissioning distinctive new content and innovative product developments lined up. So it's an exciting time to join the Radio & Education senior leadership team as the Controller of BBC Sounds.
Working for James Purnell, Director of Radio and Education, the role will be responsible for developing and delivering the strategy for BBC Sounds, working with the whole of the BBC and the audio industry beyond that.
This new role will focus on:
- Creating the strategy for Sounds
- Attracting new Sounds users and retaining them
- Creating the audience briefs for commissioning teams
- Ensuring return on investment and audience insight shapes product development, distribution, commissioning, marketing and curation
- Developing BBC Sounds to provide users access to third party content
- Ensuring Sounds supports linear radio stations and linear stations support Sounds
- Developing the strategy and scope for the future of the platform i.e. the approach to prominence, audience measurement, marketing, interface with Voice Controls, in-car listening.
Get more details